MN: a day in the life: BOE ENKAI!

Monday, August 29

BOE ENKAI!

This appeared in our town newspaper...probably revealing all sorts of incriminating information about who we really are...we so have them fooled!
only kidding! it's our self-introduction.
Showered and pampered. They even invited Zach's wife Laura to come up for a memorable photo-op! The Japanese comunity is so self-less and thoughtful! Such a nice change from all that I knew before!


Teachers/Faculty members of Taneichi-machi
My first enkai experience was one to remember! There were about 40 education-related staff members on hand to "formally" welcome us to Taneichi! Everything in Japan has an informal and formal situation. And the formal ceremonies are SUPER FORMAL. The picture at right shows the Taneichi-machi Board of Education. This is the amazing group that has tended to my every need...setting up accounts, fixing up my house and helping me get
acquainted with the town.
I felt like a celebrity as Masato drove us out to this beautiful hotel near the mountains. We were seated in the front table of the largest tatami room I have ever seen! We were the "extinguished guests" ---something that I am actually starting to get used to ;) --- and were literally on stage for the rest of the faculty of the Board of Education and Taneichi school teachers to see.
Many of the teachers I met spoke english and I had the opportunity to chat with my future Japanese English Teachers (JTE) for quite some time. Sowada-san and "Tuna"-san are really dynamic people. Great personalities...can't wait for all 3 of us to team together---yeah, 3 in one room of about 40 kids...how awesome!!! I am so excited to start teaching...TOMORROW!
So Japan is interesting..they knew that I had to teach in the morning, but yet they plan this extravagant affair on a weekday! At an enkai--or work party in which everyone loses the ties and traditional Japanese customs--your drinks are carefully watched. After you have taken at least 5 sips, someone magically appears and fills it up again...it is like a game to them! So, I am feeling pretty fantastic at the moment, although it could just be in my head--as it is hard to know how much I really had when I am getting a refill every 3 minutes.....hmmmmm

So the nite began with several speeches by important people in the community (the mayor and superintendent). Then we were asked to give impromptu speeches (in English--thank you Masato for translating!!!). It went very well and I really feel the community is receptive to me, my personality and what my goals are in being in Japan. Thank goodness! After our speeches ended, we all practiced giving our own versions of the konpai (AKA: toast). The drinking began and one by one teachers stood up to say a few words to each of us in japanglish. It worked though, their appreciation was heartfelt. Then they presented us with a very expensive gift: FLOWERS! "Hana" are outrageously priced here so it was a super nice surprise! We ate well---and to my surprise, they did NOT make us try anything too scary...just the usual tofu-you-name-it and norimaki (california rolls). It is very common to be "gently coerced" into trying all sorts of scary things that most Japanese people don't eat...but I lucked out again!
All in all, the evening was quite memorable...especially when I was asked to get up and sing "Edelweiss" with other Japanese teachers. I think I probably know just as many words to that song in Japanese as I do English! So we did it acapella and it was pretty cool---my karaoke experiences have really improved my choral abilities!

Again, big thanks to the Taneichi Board of Education who has done so much for me. The language barrier has the ultimate challenge, but their willingness to try to communicate adn their genuine concern for me is......uh, remarkable and unusual. I am so thankful for them!They have really made Japan feel like home and Taneichi my home away from home. Domo arigato gozaimas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!