MN: a day in the life: ViOLenCE in japan?

Thursday, May 25

ViOLenCE in japan?

Preface: These pictures were not 'set up'. While viewing some old photos tonite, I noticed a common theme...why are all the boys posing with weapons in hand?! Is Japan more violent than I thought?
Of course, some students can totally pull of this studly showing of masculinity,...
but others are more blatantly badass. Keeps things interesting, but I must say this is the most gentle culture in the world. I never feel threatened, scared or nervous in the community. We are miles and miles away from the few social problems that plague Japan, so it is easy to turn a naive eye to the violence that happens, but is rarely reported, in the country. (ie. The 6:00 News briefly mentions anything negative, if at all. Their weather reports are insanely long (to compensate for the lack of news) and the 'variety' stories are plentiful. Maybe there is some truth to the 'out of sight, outta mind' theory...if you 'ignore' negative, you don't get much negative and everyone is focused on the positive side of life.
I'm told that Japan is quite violent. Look at the traditional Japanesey sports: kendo (swords), judo (intense anything goes wrestling), sumo (getting crushed by someone weighing 1/4 of a ton, and akido (martial arts w/ weaponry that is too scary to even lay hands on). On a semi-lighter side, you have the manga and anime books/movies with tons of shooting, murder and crime.
Kids are not as 'sheltered' from seeing violence as they are in the States. I don't think they enforce the 'movie theater rating scale' over here and it isn't uncommon to see some shoot-em-up movie on TV in the early morning or early evening (time slots usually reserved for 'family television' in the States.) I wouldn't know about this fascination with violence, if not for taking these pictures, as I never watch TV....but now its peaked my curiousity and I want to find out more about WHY a culture with so many people, in such a small space, with JUST as much VIOLENCE in the media at the USA....has just a trifle of crime and murder compared to the States. Why!? What is up with America!? More specifically, what is wrong with our students!? No respect for anyone, themselves included. No conscience for their wrongdoings at times. WHY!? Did I sleep through entire educational philosophy and pysch classes!?
I have only 2 months left in this country and it STILL amazes me how polarized American and Japanese cultures are. Trying to bridge these two cultures would take years and years and years, and the work of thousands of more people just like me (who are fluent in Japanese and have Master's Degrees in Japanese culture!).....and honestly, I'm tired. I'm just too tired to take up the challenge one more year here. So, August 19th I will arrive in Minnesota. Amongst a counry that can be so scary, mean, and disrespectful (oops.....obviously thats a sweeping generalization) BUT won't the freedom feel good!
Gonna take the good with the bad this time around.

PS: Ryuetsu's gun is a 'cap gun' used to start the races for the sports festival. Students won't even bring chewing gum into the classroom...a gun, .........yeah right.


1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Oh my word, if that last picture is not the funniest thing I have ever seen. At my sports festival, they let the special needs kids fire the starting gun but they spent most of the day just pointing it at each other. Apparently they have never taken a "gun safety" class.

5/25/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!