MN: a day in the life: Japan: 1 year ago

Monday, August 20

Japan: 1 year ago

It is hard to believe that I left Japan one year ago this weekend. It was with much sadness (and sake) that I said my 'temporary goodbyes' to so many wonderful people that I came to love. I remember spending the nearly every single day during the last 6 weeks at ceremonial farewell parties thrown by the schools, the office and the villagers. It proved to be some of the happiest/saddest, exciting/exhausting of all my days in Japan. And so, I thought it only fitting to retrace my last 24 hours in Japan and my first 24 hours in Minnesota -chronologically in ascending order:

First dinner in Minnesota. American food - YUMMY!!!!
My family took me to my favorite restaurant and low and behold 2 of my favorite buddies just happened to be there....
It is true -- the world is VERY small!
My parents greeting me @ the airport.
My luggage was lost and my IPOD stolen, but being able to read signs and understand PA messages for the first time in a year seemed to offset my frustration. :)
On the flight home.
After nearly 14 hours of flying - we approach Denali State Park in Alaska (just in time for sunset). Aerial views of this beautiful park were a wonderful welcome to the USA.
This was my last photograph taken in Japan.
My first and last homestay families took me to the local shinkansen station where they saw me off. Wearing a traditional summer outfit ( jinbei ) and unparelled queasiness - I managed to keep a smiling face. (Excessive crying would be frowned upon as it draws unnecessary attention to oneself and shows emotional weakness.) As the shinkansen pulled out of the station, my eyes became fixated on the waving hands of my friends....and then, almost immediately, blurry.
I didn't stop crying until Sendai.

And this is my final picture with the Sasaki family. After graciously inviting me to live with them for my last 6 weeks in Japan, I often looked for ways to repay their kindness. On this final nite, I cooked (what appeared to be) my favorite American foods. I made spaghetti, garlic bread and a (tofu) chocolate pie. Though the meal was probably tastier than 90% of the meals I had had that year... on this final nite, I remember it not tasting very good at all. Knowing that I would be eating a zillion more of these italian meals in 24 hours, made this final meal in Japan all the more sad...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!