MN: a day in the life: some FIRSTS

Tuesday, August 30

some FIRSTS

Hajamete = the first time.....I have had several firsts in these last couple of days (I wasn't kidding when I said that every day brings new adventures and challenges!)




1. FIRST haircut in japan! this was way fun! as you know, my dad is a barber and my sole barber for the better part of my life up to this point. very very few people have cut my hair, and NEVER has someone cut my hair without speaking a word of english. but that is not the case anymore! my friend mayumi, bless her heart, took me to a really cheap place in hachinohe (nearby town of about 500000 people--and site of all major shopping runs). For 20 us dollars i got a 10 minute shampoo/head massage and a sweet hair cut! she did almost exactly what i wanted her to do..which was go super short! pretty risky, but she managed and i plan on going back in a couple more months!
also--laura highlighted my hair for me! i had brought a box with me from back home (hold the snickers..) and i am thankful i did...finding any color close to light brown (nevermind blonde!) is impossible. so pictured above are the ...during and after shots!

2. FIRST enkai! more information on this event can be found on the previous post. And enkai is a formal party between office workers. They are usually pretty crazy and rowdy and a whole bunch of scary food is served inbetween rounds and rounds of drinks...BUT this enkai was much different. We had a wonderful time, I am not going to repeat myself, so read about it by clicking on the link below.

3. FIRST day of school! this was TODAY! I was ceremoniously paraded in front of our school and into the gymnasium where all students and staff had gathered to welcome me...Taneichi chugakko has about 300 students (7-9th grade). I am SO excited to work with junior high and compare it to my experiences in American classrooms. I was pretty shocked by the loudness of the classes...definitely NOT like the stereotypical quiet, shy and well-behaved students in the movies. so its going to be challenging and pretty impossible to maintain any control/classroom management unless i learn the basic commands in japanese....which is exactly what i am doing now! Get this: I am team teaching with not ONE, but TWO teachers! It is the coolest idea ever...us 3 are going to be able to cover tons of ground! Ms. Sawada-san and Mr. "Tuna" as he likes to be called, seem wonderful and I am very excited to get to know them more!

4. FIRST introduction to taiko: I live nearby the site of the Taiko team's facilities. Most nites, taiko drums can be heard rumbling through the community. I really want to learn how to play, but this team is really good and probably doesn't have much time to teach a foreigner the basics...BUT I showed up for a practice anyway. I practiced the rhythms by clapping and using the sticks on the mats. (I have yet to graduate to the actual drum!) But I will get there..I am very excited to tackle this new project!)

5. FIRST time driving in japan! this wasn't as intimidating as i have done plenty of riding these last few weeks. felt great to have some independence (even if the car is loaned to me from work AND to only be used to and from work). im trying to be super defensive on the road, the rules in this small town are...wait, there are no enforced rules. which in combination with driving on the LEFT side of the street and NOT be able to understand the signs-makes for some interesting roadtrips! keep your fingers crossed--if i get into an accident they will probably deport me!

so many new experiences, so little time to sit around! lovin' life and livin' it up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!