MN: a day in the life: hAnAmAki HoT sprInGs

Friday, November 11

hAnAmAki HoT sprInGs

I've spent the last few days at another JET conference...this ultra-relaxing workshop was held down in Southern Iwate @ the Hanamaki Hot Spring resort. It was another couple days of self-indulgence and pampering with massages, amazing outdoor onsens/hot spring baths and delicious Japanese cuisine. The onsen proved the perfect way to unwind (and reflect on 6 hours of daily lectures and my life so far in Japan).

The setting was so picturesque. Beautiful rolling mountains that were splashed with reds, oranges and yellows. Having an actual "Fall season" is a real treat - coming from Minnesota and the suprisingly snowy Halloweens and whiteout blizzard conditions at Thanksgiving time. Comfortable temps has been much appreciated after the 3 month sweatfest....now, I am bracing for what I hear is a FrEEzInG winter w/ little snow and much opportunity for pneumonia to set in considering central heat has yet to be implemented into Japanese culture.





The Hanamaki Resort area is also known for its winter recreation facilities. I so enjoyed sitting in the outdoor onsens while seeing my breath! I know I have mentioned other onsen experiences I have had---all of which were during the summer and not nearly as exhilirating as this place! But it was so beautifully designed, this tiki-hut-like cover, surrounded by beautiful Japanese gardens and a waterfall (gushing SCALDING hot water) into the onsen. The ambiance created made it even more memorable and relaxing. You almost feel like a celebrity as some surely would pay crazy amounts of money to experience exotic places like this. I loved every minute of it, except when the onsen actually became SO hot that people started complaining. Their solution was to wheel in several 50 ft hoses to blast cold water into the pool area...it helped, but when I got out my skin was an unusal shade of purple sometimes associated with 2nd degree burns, I believe. It was worth any bit of damage that may have occured internally!

Fall in Iwate...breathtaking!

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!