MN: a day in the life: kadonohama cuties

Tuesday, November 22

kadonohama cuties

Kadonohama Elementary School
Very typical in nature, this school was built many years ago and built for about 4 times as many students as it now holds.
Possible capacity: 500
Current enrollment: 85

These small schools are the best to visit though! The teachers and students are very close and it feels like a family! I love my Mondays in @ the shogakkos! Also, big kudos to whoever designed this school...it actually keeps the wind out! I couldn't see my breath in the hallways! Such simple treasures!


Way cute kids. ALlllllllllmost makes me miss the little tykes back in the States...but then I think of snotty noses and whiney voices, pulling on your sleeve cos they need their shoes tied. I kid you not, the kids here are SO not like that. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but they are so............responsible and industrious. They are independent and secure, they don't rely on others---they just 'fulfill their duty' to be a learning sponge. Wish my teacher pals back home could experience this change in classroom scenery!


Love these candid photos. Interesting to see the faces of the children in the background...they are so wowed by a 'foreigner'...despite having one in their school for the last 8 years. I don't mind the silly faces and/or looks of complete awe or horror--that god forbid, I might try to ask them something in English! Wish they would relax a bit and just try...broken English is better than NO English. (at least that's what I tell myself) There are no janitors at their schools...its all Kid-powered! These 6th graders are out picking up the school grounds...raking, garbage, tree trimming...you name it, these handy kids can do it! I think its great to see them educating their students on "practical" skills as well. This hidden "practical" curriculum is quite useful, but rarely shows its face in English class...how unfortunate!
Doing a quick introduction for the students and teachers. It was great to meet you! See you again soon! Ja ne!

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!