MN: a day in the life: s-h-u-s-o-f-t-b-a-l-l

Sunday, May 28

s-h-u-s-o-f-t-b-a-l-l

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day. I caught the train about an hour south for one of my jr high school's softball tournaments. With sunscreen and semi-interpretable directions in hand, I set out to find the softball site (aka: an abandoned high school in the middle of absolutely no civilization). After 20 minutes of winding through the 'streets' (smaller and more run down than an 'alley' back home), I came to a fork in the road [enter above picture.] Was it just me and my notoriously wrong sense of direction to question the validity of my directions? This road didn't look the least bit promising: I could see no houses OR an end to the road in sight, and despite the numerous rice paddy fields on either side...even the farmers weren't in the fields. This time, I ignored my feelings of doubt and decided to let the powers that be guide me. 20 more minutes later, I ended up, as luck would have it, right where I was suppose to be. This walk offered reminded me of what it means to live in the countryside of Japan
.....and that there is, indeed, a God.
Shukunohe-chu's softball team is 20-2...#2 in the conference! Way to go GIRLS!
This was one of my more interesting pictures to come of the day...hard to believe that this is a meeting with the coach. Yes, the coach is crouched down directly in front of me. Do you notice that not one player is making eye contact with the coach, or anyone else for that matter. So Japanesey... And this is why I just can't obey every one of these cultural rules. It's STILL foreign to me!
From left to right, the infielders: Chisumi, Ayumi, Satomi and Natsumi.
(And yes, it has taken me a full 10 months to get their names straight.)
にてるね!がんばります!

These are the ichi-nens, who didn't get to play ONE inning, cos they are in their 'rookie' year. Interesting coaching philosophy, eh? Supposedly, softball is learned through observation. Gee, I hope the same isn't true for med-school.

おわりました。 "Sportsmanship Awards" aren't required in Japan. Japanese athletes use the same consideration and utmost respect both on and off the field. It continues to amaze me. Japan, as a whole, continues to challenge all of my previous philosophies and (mis)perceptions and conceptions of people, culture and .....well, Life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!