MN: a day in the life: sayonara #5: yamato-sho

Wednesday, June 28

sayonara #5: yamato-sho

This is Taneichi's teeniest school...11 students in first-sixth grade, plus a whopping 4 teachers and both vice principal & principal...i'd say they have things pretty well under control. This is the last year Yamato will be used, the kids will combine with Taneichi Elem next spring. This marked the third time I visited the school and though its very old and crumbly, the setting up high in the mountains is so gorgeous (think "Sound of Music" landscapes....) They were so kind and accepting of my foreigner status, one would think that I make weekly visits to their school. Good to see some of those 'cultural barriers' being knocked down.
Though the small schools aren't the best way to allocate funds in this area, it sure does make teaching fun! The teachers are really flexible with the schedule and its so low-key it almost feels like little America. It's always a refreshing change from the military-styles at the junior highs. The day ended with a ceremonial song and cheer, presentation of a beautiful book with portrait drawings of me, and many many many pictures. Today's goodbye was a bit emotional and I'm starting to worry about saying goodbye to the schools that I DO visit weekly.
Many more mascara-free days ahead...

Below, the fifth/sixth graders (yes, 4 of them) plastered the board with some words of inspiration for me when I return to the States...

"Study hard" (I will!),

"don't forget us" (I won't!),

and "come back again" (I hope so!)Yamato Elementary School, 2006

2 Comments:

Blogger JH said...

Wow, how many sayonaras do you have left? It seems like they have you visiting A LOT of schools.
By the way, my students have just written a post in their blogs giving advice to people new to Japanese Junior High Schools about how to be a successful teacher. If you could read a couple of the posts and write some comments my students would be really happy. You can find the hyperlinks to the students posts here.
I will also write out the URL in case the HTML I wrote was no good.
http://englishiwate.blogspot.com/2006/06/etm3-students-give-advice-to-people.html
Thanks,
JH

6/28/2006  
Blogger knob said...

hey where's the counter? You never linked me to it!!!!

Can you believe it's about 3 weeks!!!! My god!

Thanks for the support BTW, and i was sorry not to see you at the beach party last week. It was fun.

6/30/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!