MN: a day in the life: on the road again...

Tuesday, August 9

on the road again...

...just can't wait to get back on the road again...


Shinjuku, Tokyo (w/ Derlee)

Taneichi Festival (w/ Nobuko)


Asahikawa, Hokkaido


I feel like I left Minneapolis and have not stopped running. A week in Tokyo, a week with a homestay family, a week in Taneichi and now I am preparing for a week in Hokkaido, followed by a week in Morioka. Time is completely occupied and the days a blur. I think I remember having a short moment to myself about 10 days ago, when I spent the evening hanging out at the town gym with a bunch of kids--getting beat in table tennis and badminton--being swamped with love and affection from all of my new students! Not exactly "alone time" but maybe being alone is overrated...? There is ALWAYS something going on, a welcoming party or reception or just a zillion errands to run. Life feels "settled" and comfortable, I don't know why we need to keep GOING and GOING like this. I am excited for the whirlwind to stop so I can catch my breath and re-energize for the upcoming school year! [Right, like THAT will be uneventful and boring]

We have visited the neighboring cities of Hachinohe (to the north) and Kuji (to the south) many many many times in these first couple weeks of being in Iwate. Ironically, I couldn't tell you how to find a THING in either of the cities, as we seem to take a new route each time! The views are amazing...the grassy mountains and oceanic views on the way to Kuji are some of my favorites thus far into the trip! Mountains are reminsicient of *The Sound of Music*...luscious green foilage carpeting the mountainside. The rolling, curvy roads leave me a bit nauseous each time, but the view is worth it!


Speaking of views--I am preparing for my first trip to Hokkaido right now! Actually, we leave tonite! I am going with Zach (a JET in Taneichi) and his wife Laura. We are taking a ferry to Sapporo and many trains through out the countryside! We will be enjoying our first ONSEN in the largest national park in Japan! Onsens are hot springs, found all over northern Japan! I can't wait to see the Siberia of Japan, it is the least populated island in Japan. The ferry departs around 10:00 PM tonite and will arrive in Sapporo around 7:00 AM!
Catch you in a week! Mata aima sho!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!