MN: a day in the life: 1st day at Shukunohe Jr High

Thursday, September 1

1st day at Shukunohe Jr High


Upon arrival at Shukunohe Jr. High, I was ceremoniously greeted by an all-school assembly. The principal said a few opening remarks, the president of the student council welcomed me with an english speech and I gave my self-introduction to the school in Japanese. These receptions help to remind me of my purpose and goal while in Japan--to teach language and culture, while learning about a new culture. I LOVE my job...and the best part is that it doesn't feel like a JOB! I am so excited about the upcoming year!
Introducing myself to my students. Took them on a scrapbook tour of my life through photos. They were very curious! They particularly enjoyed seeing the variety of hairstyles and clothing in the States! The students are so respectful and well-behaved...I really have never seen anything like it! They WANT to learn and try very hard to do their best in everything they do. What motivation!


They have asked me to help out with as many sports teams as I have time for. Shukunhoe has the only area softball team (and they won their conference last year)! On Thursdays and Fridays, the days I am at Shukunohe, I will try to help their softball team be even more successful! Very excited to play ball again...I really miss coaching!


This is the view from the front. The school is huge--probably bigger than my high school back home! Except that high school held 2000 students---this one has only 93! The elderly population is on the rise in Japan and schools are taking the hit as a result. There is so much extra space at this school, I almost forget I am in Japan! The school is super clean and photos/awards/trophies line the halls-showing off their remarkable athletic abilities! Every student at this school is required to join a year-around sports team. As a result, the kids are in great shape and their teams rock! Apparently, Shukunohe is the school to beat within the prefecture! My favorite part of the school are these beautiful terraces on each of the 3 floors---it's built like a fortress! Beautiful lush, hilly mountains surround the school-providing a wonderful backdrop and sense of tranquility!



For more info on my schools check out the website I made for the students:
http://teachingintaneichischools.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!