MN: a day in the life: giving thanks

Wednesday, November 23

giving thanks

Hikage Family
Hikage-san, me, Yuriko, Akita and Ayaka
Today is "Labor Thanksgiving Day" in Japan. It is not celebrated with ritualistic routines, but simply one less day to work or go to school. I enjoyed the day immensely--as it provided an opportunity to get caught up on laundry, cleaning and winterizing my home (see all those "little things" that I never write about on here, are actually happening too!)
I was so thankful for the Hikage family inviting me to their home for a Japanese-ized Thanksgiving feast. We had a wonderful meal that included Italian, Japanese and American foods. Pizza, nabe, onigiri, sweetpotatoes, pumpkin salad, squid salad and coffee cake. An uncharacteristic American Thanksgiving, but well spent with my wonderful surrogate family.
There is much to be thankful for---not just today (or 2 days from now for you US folks)...but everyday is a gift. I am always mindful of the generous community with which I live in as I often find myself on the receiving end of what we call "random acts of kindness" in the States. But in Japan, they don't have a saying like that to remind them to be thoughtful, considerate and respectful. They just live their lives that way. It really is a beautiful thing to experience and I appreciate that aspect of the culture....daily!
I also appreciate my supportive friends and family back home that give me the strength to continue maximizing this experience! Thanks to YOU, I have had no feelings of lonesomeness or homesickness. Your interest and belief in me and what I'm doing over here is never forgotten! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Lastly, even bigger thanks to the Taneichi-machi community. You have been SO helpful, welcoming and embracing! I LOVE living in your community and look forward to more great times together! Also, thank you to my new friends scattered through out Iwate-ken and the Tohoku region. Wherever I go, I seem to find myself surrounded by great people and beautiful sights (coincidence? nah, that's just Japanese culture for ya!) Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge with me! You are great teachers! Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanks for your care! Osawa ni nademashita!


The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!