MN: a day in the life: one for the books

Monday, March 6

one for the books

I'm tired of ranting about the not so memorable teaching moments with my job over the last 7 months and the uninhabitable circumstances I was subjected to the last 4 months in my house. Today is a new day and just what I needed to rejuvenate my interest in Japan.
Another short list to follow:
1. I went Shukunohe Shogakko today, so of course being that I was NOT @ a junior high school, it was destined to be a fantastic day. And it was. I worked with ichi and ni-nenseis....2 hours each, back to back. I questioned their ability to focus on anything for 2 hours...but it worked out just fine. The saddest part of the day was prying the little pumpkins off my appendages. Goodbyes are always hard, but these cutiepatuties make it nearly impossible. The best part of the day was them teaching me some Japanese games. Japanese elementary games require SKILL and DEXTERITY, precision in fact; definitely NOT the types of games that 5-6 year olds play in the US. What happened to hand puppets and marbles!? We were so deprived...
2. Yusho came over to study some more tonite. Tonite was probably the last hangout before he departs for the States and I'm confident that his experience will be unforgettable. I made a going away present for him, just some things for the airplane (earplugs, sleeping pills, gum, etc...) He was so surprised (maybe cos I threw some extra spending money in there) and genuinely happy. I know he's worried about leaving his friends and family and going somewhere where communication is going to be a huge obstacle---gee, how I KNOW what's he's feeling! All the hours I spent working with him, the meals I have cooked for him, the time I put in....it was ALL worth it when he looked up with tears in his eyes and. in not being able to truly convey how he really felt, he said "I love you." If I hadn't already made a difference in someone's life over here, I just did.
..................
And I'm not staying another year cause why?
3. Yusho also brought over a few DVDs tonite. Normally, I'm too exhausted, have much too much to do DURING the week, to sit down and actually enjoy a movie....but tonite was perfect! As I have absolutely nothing to prepare for the rest of the week! Well, except for that damnable English class. So we watched Biohazard, in Japanese. Of course, I would never watch a sci-fi movie like this in English, but I welcomed the opportunity to just zone out.
And as it turned out, it was semi-intriguing.
4. Alas, I have all pictures from my China and Thailand trip. I through them in albums and relived the amazing experience all over again. What a trip...scary, foreign and so interesting. Also got new word on the upcoming proposed trip to Vietnam and Cambodia...those travel plans will be finalized when I get back from Hawaii in a couple of weeks. Gotta get this travel-bug outta me (or at least under control) before I start grad school Aug 28th and will not be traveling internationally for a couple years due the debt I will be acquiring while back in school. Oops, this was supposed to be positive! It's a typical day in Japan, but so unlike the days that lie ahead in MN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!