MN: a day in the life: conformity

Friday, April 7

conformity

Yeah, the students are cute and irresistible w/ their botched english attempts, but they are brought up like robots, and sometimes, like today I just can't figure out why they purposely 'train' them in this way. Having visited the pre-schools and early childhood centers, it isn't a surprise that by kindergarten they are conditioned to roboticism, the "group mentality" is ingrained. Have you seen the movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" - I feel like I'm directing the movie, sitting back watching the little 'pods' run around with no choices and no opinions, and of course,....no complaints about it.
I don't think that "collective societies" are terrible. Group first mentality makes for less drama, less hurt feelings and decreases the competition. (no one is left behind, but no one can get ahead either)...which is where i start to question the value of this in the education system over here.
There are some "skills" of individualism that are essential in beingn successful (and overall, a whole lot happier in life):
1) the ability to think for yourself
2) the ability to voice an opinion
3) the ability to question the validity and purpose of things
I go to 2 junior high schools and 9 elementary schools in my community. I see kids ages 4-16, and across the board, the conformity syndrome is present, pervasive and perhaps problematic(?)
It's frustrating to not be able to change the system and its even more difficult at times for me to be the team player, to assimilate to Japanese cultural norms and conform to their ideas and philosophies (most of which I don't understand).
I remember saying that Japan would be a good fit for me, because it would challenge me on many levels. Well, I'm eating my words now, as this challenge has taught me a patience and perspective that is so foreign to us back in the States.
And as frustrating as the learning process was,
I think I will always be grateful for experiencing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!