MN: a day in the life: okonai elementary

Monday, November 28

okonai elementary

Okonai Shogakko
I thought I had visited every elementary school in Taneichi, but I was wrong. There are still two others that I will attend in the next couple of weeks. But this Monday's adventure was to Okonai--the second smallest elementary school in Taneichi. Okonai school population, first through sixth grades is...............25! I wish you could see how huge and empty these schools are. They have entire levels of the building not being used. Okonai is doing multi-age classrooms (first time I have seen it in Taneichi). Grades 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6 are combined, and each classroom has only 7-10 students!!! So strange to walk into rooms that use to hold 30+ students and here sit 7 little tykes, in 7 little desks.
Opportune teaching conditions, but a little difficult on the wallet?

This is 'kyushoku'---Japanese school lunch. I eat it everyday because that is the only option. No one brings their own lunch from home. Surprisingly, picky-eater-me, enjoys school lunch! It's a great way to sample many traditional Japanese dishes and its nutritional. A typical school lunch is pictured above. Some days its waaaaaaaay better than others, and this was NOT one of those days.

Let's see: There is always some kind of soup. Usually miso, wakame, a fish chowder or corn soup--pictured above with chunks of seaweed to boot. There is always a small slab of unknown COOKED fish (its always cooked/smoked/fried/dried etc). The fish would be even better WITHOUT the skin and bones, but I try not to be fussy. Although I must say, filleting my lunch everyday with chopsticks has really improved my dexterity! Salmon, squid and mackerel seem to be rotated on the schedule every day (keep in mind, 4 months ago, I would have never eaten ANY of these!) There is also always some kind of salad....my favorite part. Really fresh vegetables, tasty dressings and ultra-healthy. Although, some days they put these dehydrated itsybitsy minnows in the salads---which totally wrecks it. One, the flavor is of course, super fishy and MOREOVER---waaaaaaaaaaay over, the 'minnows' have eyes and tails. It's NOT visually appetizing, so I quickly offer it to one of my students. There is also a small piece of fruit--usually oranges or apples. And lastly, either a bowl of rice or a small loaf of bread. I know that sounds like a huge exaggeration, but seriously---they get these bread 'rolls' that are the size of submarine sandwiches...way too many carbs, so I have started nixing both the rice AND the bread. All in all, the lunch is palatable and a fun experience to share with the students each day.

Interview games...these 5/6 graders did a super job. So genki and fun! A lot changes for these students when they go to junior high next year. Suddenly, the focus isn't on making learning fun and memorable....but rather studying for the high school entrance exams. This "preparation" at the junior high level, begins in 7th grade and its intense! Quite militaristic, compared to the way its done in the States. Hence, I really enjoy the freedom to design English classes that are fun, engaging and interesting to the elementary aged students! (It's good practice for me when I get a future ESL classroom of my own!)

Here are the 5/6 graders = all 11 of them! What a dreamy teaching job.....no wait, the curriculum-philosophy and pedagogical techniques are mind boggling, outdated and the antithesis of what we are trying in the States. School is institutionalized, and one of the biggest cultural differences that I struggle with daily. I think you can learn a lot in any situation, including what not to do.

Matta ne! Thanks for a super visit to your school!

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!