MN: a day in the life: Lovelife: top 10

Tuesday, December 6

Lovelife: top 10




Here are my "current" reasons for loving life in Japan. In no particular order of course, as my attitudes, patience and overall understanding of the culture seem to fluctuate weekly.

1. The kids. Especially the little tykes @ these ultra-rural schools. Neat to see their excitment to see someone "different". They are so curious about me and want to know EVERYTHING about America and American culture. Ironically, after being at Taneichi Junior High for 4 months.......one of my students came up to me today and said, "Where are you from again?"
My response, "Uh,......are you kidding!?" I really do enjoy the students @ Taneichi--really outgoing and crazy and tons of fun........if not for the curriculum and choice of pedagogical practices---it would be a dream job!

2. Cheap food. Like free...and SO healthy! (I've adopted a quasi-vegan diet these last couple of months, which could be quite spendy back home). All the eggplant, daikon, cabbage, cucumbers, yams and squash you can handle AND a weeks worth of tofu---for maybe $20.

3. Super stimulating culture that defines the word BUSY. It's incredible how energetic they are, running to answer the phone and running to bring you another size at the dept store. Why the hustle? Who knows? But I've yet to meet someone half as lazy as the "stereotypical American". It's just a great culture that always keeps me on my toes and on the move!

4. Low-maintenance society. I love the rural life! No one cares about name brands or the latest and greatest fillintheblank. It's all about comfort and finding creative ways to survive the winter pneumonia-free. Let me illustrate this fashion-less situation, by describing what I wear when biking around town:
Layers are key.... so first its a tshirt and long sleeve tee, next is my blue track suit top I found @ a second hand shop and then a puffy down red coat, that Mayumi is lending me, to top it off. Then I take a bright green scarf, that Sophia gave me, and wrap it around my entire head (turban style), can't forget 2 pairs of cheapy wool gloves, 2 pairs of cheapy wool socks, my $3 MC Hammer grey fleece sweats and my $5 mock-moccasins. So fun to get away with such outrageous combos...and if I didn't have such hideous YELLOW hair at the moment, no one would look twice. It's the norm! I'm right in 'style'!

5. Being able to bike everywhere! I LOVE being able to bike to the grocery store in 5 minutes. To get to the post office AND the photo shop within 10 minutes. It just feels good to NOT rely on mass transporation for once in my life. Of course, i NEED to take the train to go anywhere of significant distance, but even that makes me feel better --environmentally speaking. I think going it without a car over here, has been a wise decision (with the exception of these cold winter months!)

6. Collective society. It's all about the group, and there is no "I" in team. They LIVE their lives like that...at work, at school and at play. It's not just an "action"--like I'll pat your back if you pat mine, but a mentality! It's a totally new way of thinking for someone like me, who admittingly, is a bit selfish at times. Really interesting to people put everyone else before themselves.

7. Living alone! Who would have guessed it? After having several failed roommate situations in the past few years, I was anxiously anticipating living alone for the first time in my life. And doing it 8000 miles from home could have been pretty scary, but I'm in a great location and have super neighbors so I feel right at home. I have yet to feel homesick and really enjoy my quaint oceanside home...complete with the propane heaters, a not-so-squishy futon and a japanese style bath tub that can barely fit half of me.

8. Travel opportunites! This experience wouldn't have been the same had I spent the last few months wandering around Taneichi and its "shopping district" that can be walked (twice) in about 10 minutes. Great people here and a super place to live, but there's just so many other places to see and do in japan and asia!

9. FRIENDS!!! Can you see that this list is NOT in order of importance! Friends and traveling is what makes me wake every day with a huge smile on my face! It IS the reason why I love being here! My Japanese friends have taught me more than I coud ever read in a book (or care to read for that matter). I can only hope that I have shared whatever info I can with them and that they feel the same way! I really lucked out in finding some real quality friends that I know I will keep in touch with forever! I'm very lucky and appreciate YOU! ;)

10. Temporary lifestyle. I debated whether or not to put this one in here, but it holds some merit. All of us JETs know this is a temporary situation. I think this is used as motivation to maximize our experience. At the Chicago orientation, just before departing for Japan, one of the speakers said: "Every day in Japan is one less day in Japan."
Simple, but powerful message.
Every morning, just before getting out of/off of my 4 inch futon cushion "bed", I first curse the cold air and the breath that I can see in my room, and then tell myself "today is one less day in japan....make it a good day....make it memorable...make it last."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you cant be for real

12/07/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i`m lost for words

12/07/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like it is very exciting for you! Glad you have been blessed with the experience - enjoy. cheryl

12/08/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're not living a real existence..

12/13/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!