MN: a day in the life: teacher talk

Friday, December 2

teacher talk


1/3 of this amazing experience has been...well, experienced (to the max I might add). some people have keenly observed how little time i devote to sharing info on japanese schools and my job. in my own defense, this is an intentional oversight and attempt to maintain your interest with my website. blabbing on and on about how monotonous and militaristic school life and the job itself are, would surely upset my fan base. with that said---i'm going to tell some of you masochists about the job, because you said you wanted to know.
WARNING: possible narcoleptic episode may ensue.

Perhaps the easiest way to tell you about the job is to compare it to junior high school life in the USA. so here is a not very thorough compilation of some of the biggest differences between the two:

1. In the US, a typical school day is about 7 hours (slight exaggeration as "academic" hours are about 4). In Japan, at least 10 hours. It isn't uncommon for my students to be at school for 12 hours--or so I hear, I haven't been subjected to such child labor cruelties.

2. The US is into experiential learning and focused on the learning process. Students turn in a collection of their best work in portfolios and they are given a variety of assessments to accomodate diverse needs and learning styles. Japan is concerned with the outcome and the score. Moreover, we are talking about ONE score---THE score to get into high school. The competition is fierce between students and their self-motivation is unparalleled.

3.I'm going to back up for a minute and talk about the physical differences of the schools themselves. This is a bit bias, as I have never taught in ultra-rural conditions like this in the States. But in the US, the average classroom has a few minor amenities----hot water, flushing toilets, central heat, an overhead projector (oh, the bucks I would drop on even the most archaic of projectors!), Internet access and several PC's IN the room and maybe even carpet--if its really a top notch joint! Ahhh, in Japan (OK these sweeping generalizations aren't fair), in Taneichi-Machi in the Iwate Prefecture-- there is none of the aforementioned "essentials". I can see my breath in the hallways, each classroom has a propane heater that not only reeks, but pumps out this carcinogenic smoke for the first 10 mintues of each class....which if I do the math right---pry means I am losing at least 40 minutes off my life every day at school! The squat toilets are appropriate for train stations and old gas stations, but at elite junior high schools like mine!?! (wink, wink--sarcasm folks.) This is the "inaka" and you just can't expect much from what is the poorest of prefectures in Japan.

I could go on and on,...has your butt fallen asleep yet?

4. In the US, creativity is encouraged and the focus is on making the future "leaders" of tomorrow confident, assertive and able to work cooperatively. Here, I'm afraid the conformist nature of the society and culture overshadows their objective to make responsible citizens. The students are trained to think and act a specific way. What ensues is a super-ritualistic, robotic society in which no one is really thinking for themselves (to quote one of my English teachers--"We haven't taught them to think for themselves".) Hmmm, I guess I don't remember that one Unit back in the States in which we were just told how to voice an opinion or show an expression. That is such a huge cultural difference, one that is hard to shake. It is so apparent that the students have to hold back, they have to adhere to the cultural mores and they have to do so without a complaint. It's really something to see...

5. In the US we give tons of homework. This has always been a topic of controversy, but I can see the benefits and draws to giving tons of it each nite. Everything in moderation is how I live my life...but in Japan, they don't give homework. The teachers say the students are too busy with after school sports and don't get home until late--so they would be too tired to finish additional assignments. Hmmm..well, if this strategy works its a sweet deal for both the teachers (less to grade) and students (more time to play videogames). But with English...a subject that they will NOT use or practice IN their homes-- a small amount of homework is essential in getting this overwhleming language to stick. Another battle that I have tried to fight, and of course...lost.

Ok, I think I have made Japanese schools out to be the devil themself. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to criticize and make sweeping generalizations...........oh, but that's probably exactly what happened. Funny how if I was teaching in the States I would have complaints and concerns too. Maybe you can't get away from it in this crazy career? If you know a way to do it, leave a comment!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard not to make judgements on the differences between US creativity and Japan's strict, military style of teaching. I am glad to be teaching in a great district with options for teachers and students. If a student wants to skip school- they do, and their parents support them... (its ok in this culture in the ghetto) but by the sounds of it... students in your area do not know what "skipping school" means... (no you don't skip or hopscotch around the school!) Anne- I look forward to the next visit, how ever it may come... :) Miss you tons!

12/04/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!