MN: a day in the life: should i stay in japan?

Sunday, April 9

should i stay in japan?

peek-a-boo
(Japanese-style, which is under the kotatsu)
I've found an adopted family w/ the Sasaki's. Saori is the world's best mother. Her kids are showered and pampered with affection (a bit un-japanesey). I really miss the affection-bit over here. People are generally reserved and unless they really trust you, won't give you hugs and invade your personal space, like most Americans do. Her kids pounce on me all day, and it's such a treat to feel the closeness of humans again. I suppose that sounds a bit perverse, but I don't know how else to describe some of the emotionless-reserved personalities i have met over here. I'm surrounded by Japanese friends and teachers and students, but yet at times, i feel so far away from them. The Sasaki's are different and are very open with their warmth and generosity.
Saori loves American culture and learning English and will hopefully follow through on her promise to bring her family to Minnesota in the next couple of years. Today, we spent a rainy/snowy day drumming up things to do w/ her little peanuts. Couple cheap toys from the hyaku-en shop, and we were set. She also invited me to move in with her family when my contract is up at the end of July. What a relief, thought I would be kicked to the curb. Now if I could just find a place to live in Minnesota this August...any takers?
As I close for the evening, I think back on the day with Saori, the delicious Korean restaurant we stuffed our faces in and the most amazing sunset I watched down by the pier and I wonder why I am leaving all of these unforgettable faces and extraordinary places. Am i making the wrong decision to leave Japan? I guess I'm holding out for something, dare I say better, after Japan and grad school. I'm tossing some ideas around, but a master's in ESL is a ticket to anywhere in the world, so the possibilities are endless. Right now, I'm checking into teaching English in Spain and doing up Europe for a year or two...Leaving Japan means my time in Asia is up, but there is so much left to see and do in the world. One day at a time...

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Dude, if I had some brains in my head, I would totally get an ESL master's too...unfortunately, I doubt that they would consider letting me back into school...

4/09/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta come back!!! I miss you!!! - Sheila

4/22/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!