MN: a day in the life: AkITa ~ AgAin

Friday, August 11

AkITa ~ AgAin

Pictured below is Hatsumi- a friend from Akita but former SCSU graduate. SCSU graduate trivia: SCSU has a sister school in Akita, Japan! Anyways, she was my very FIRST Japanese friend. Last summer, before I came to Japan, Hatsumi tried to get me acquainted with Japanese language and culture in 3 hours...hahah, it was brief but wonderful fun as we hit it off right away. we kept in touch and now she has returned to Japan and I'm returning to America. we share a cool bond of switching communities and cultures. here are pics from my second homestay with her family in Akita!
Dear Hosoya Family,
I'm SO sorry I didn't post these pics earlier. This week has been crazy, traveling all over Tohoku, to say goodbyes, and I have 7 SHORT days left in Japan. I was looking through a few of the pictures from my Adventures in Akita...and I have some really random, but nice shots. Enjoy!
Until we meet again....love to you all! anne

These are some of Sophia's friends @ their local bar in Kisakata. Only 10 people in this little pub, but we manage to somehow represent 6 different countries! From L-R: Columbia, USA, Japan, Uruguay, Korea & Thailand. It was so interesting...no one was using their native language to communicate...for some French was the lingua franca, others were using Spanish, Chinese or "Japanglish"! It is communication 'struggles' and TRIUMPHS like these that motivate me to want to further my studies into the ESL realm (wow, grad school starts in 16 days!!!)
My FISHING debut on the Sea of Japan was so exhillirating! the horizon appeared to be moving constantly, with these semi-tsunami-style waves crashing into the sides of our boat! I was completely terrified AND thrilled to be back on the water again...Minnesota is calling! I didn't eat our daily catch pictured above, but I am CRAVING a Minnesota Walleye dinner! hint hint, Dad...
The Hosoya's are "Hotstuff"! Noriko (purikara princess), Hatsumi (english extravaganza) & Yukako (future Mariah Carey of Japan).
Kanto Festival - with Yasuko as our gracious host. Thank you for so many beautiful gifts and memories. Kanto Festival was definitely one of my FAVORITE festivals in Japan!
Short pit-stop at another of Sophia's friends who is a seamstress. I lucked out and was able to model this antique kimono used for weddings....200 years old! It is probably worth the equivalent of one year of grad school, but has no name brand. interesting note: kimonos like the one above were used by royal family's. but when southern japan needed food (which continues to be produced in northern japan) they had nothing to pay with...so they traded their beautiful kimono to put food on the table.) akita is one of the best farming areas in japan, so many kimono like the one above are circulating around the Akita area.
This is SOPHIA! One of my MOST dear friends in Japan. Her home is near this fabulous lookout point on the Sea. She is so spirited, strong, smart and,..un-japanesey. She is the sister I never had. Friends forever Sophia! I love you!
Akita ~ Summer 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!