MN: a day in the life: Christmas Around the World

Thursday, December 20

Christmas Around the World

Last week, after the semester ended and grades were submitted, my parents offered to host my students for an American Christmas party. 9 of 14 students came to the party and below are some pictures from the fabulous evening!
Each student brought an ethnic dish from their home country. We ate delicious foods from all parts of the world and supplied a few American dishes for them to try. I also made an Egg Nog dessert drink -which they found "interesting...too sweet...delicious...disgusting..." hahaha, so it goes trying new things in a new country!
This semester's class was especially close. I had an even representation of students from Africa, Asia and the Middle East. To my surprise, they were MORE than suportive of one another and actually made a few (hopefully) lasting friendships!
Back row: Tokiko (Japan), Nicole (Brazil) and Simeng (China)

Front row: Sherry (Saudi Arabia), Franck (Ivory Coast), Suyan (China), Kendi (Kenya), Jiayi (China) and Irene (Tanzania)

So you think you can dance?
My mom was a wonderful hospitable host (as usual)!
Dad provided the entertainment (as usual)!
Thanks SO much to my loving parents for their interest in working with this international population!
Most of the students sent emails the following the day saying things like, "I feel like I understand American culture and family more now" and "This was the best nite of my life in America".

Wow! My parents are pretty influential!!!
Below, Simeng treated us to a virtuoso piano performance.
Music certainly is a universal passion...
Dustin got to know my students pretty well that nite....we won't go into details but it has a little something to do w/ imbibing traditions throughout the world...hmmm
This party is one to be treasured by us all.



Best of luck to my students as they forge ahead into University life here in Minnesota! Good luck and Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!