MN: a day in the life: a day in the life of a teacher

Wednesday, September 14

a day in the life of a teacher

I have yet to talk about my schools in semi-significant detail, so I am going to do just that! Read on if you care to learn more about my actual job and purpose for being in Japan!

Well, my day begins in the "teacher room". This "lounge" is the place where all teachers prepare for classes--together! It is busy, loud and a dissheveled mess of cords, computers and class texts. The students have ALL of their classes in ONE room..and the teachers move around the building to teach their classes. This is an interesting way of doing things, but because the students do not know what it would be like to have classes in several rooms--they seem unaffected by the lack of change of scenery. Not only do they have an assigned classroom, but they have assigned seats...they only change them 3 times a year! The students know that they will be seeing A LOT of the people next to them (like 40 hours a week for several months!) so they quickly bond with those around them. The classrooms are grouped by grade level and either an "A" or "B"---they really do become a family. They will remain in this group for all 3 years of junior high! That is 9 different seating arrangements for 3 years folks! Wow----I can't even begin to imagine how students in America would react to such monotony in their lives!

The entire school day runs much differently than back home. After teachers meetings in the room above, we slowly wander on down to the English classroom (and yes, I do mean in no particular hurry!) Teachers show up a couple minutes late for the class period, I don't understand the philosophy of this one yet, but I thought I would mention it. BUT, in English class, the students come to us--what a bonus! Classes runs smoothly as the teachers and students know their roles and expectations of one another. There is this decentralized authority of power within the school. Students and teachers can roam freely--there are no boundaries or off-limit areas. Kocho-sensei (the principal) has the rule of the roost, but he doesn't parade around the school showcasing his might...he actually cares about the students and is in touch with what is going on under his roof.

The openness of the school climate is so lax and laid back. The teachers and students work as a team, the school operates wholly and I can tell each student feels a part of the school community. Just look at the pic above, NO CAFETERIA STAFF. I believe the food is catered in by local shops and such, and the students unload it from the truck, serve it up and of course, clean it all up at the end. NO COMPLAINTS EITHER. Every student knows their role and what is expected of them. This system of theirs really works!

I still am amazed by the lack of supervision. Today, I spent my lunch recess (30 min of free time for the entire school!) in the gym playing volleyball and basketball. At this particular school, there is pry 150 students and at least 50 of them were in the gym with me..........and NO other teachers. I haven't studied Japanese law, but isn't their an issue with liability in the GYM of all places! During the day, there is no "hall monitor" or "bouncer" strategically positioned to dissuade those from skipping class. In fact, there is no skipping class! I hate to generalize, but ALL students (even my crazy kids that only know a few "not very useful terms" ;) come to class with homework in hand. I was invited to help out with the softball team at Shukunohe-chu. I show up and to my surprise there is NO coach. Nope, the coach doesn't really need to be there--as I realized that these ladies are SO self-disciplined that I humbly accepted my role: passerby. No, actually the girls were awesome---I was able to correct and critique through Japanglish! The practice was incredibly organized and productive--super effiecient...no one looked bored or not sure of the daily routine.

So, my new theory is that if you give kids independence and trust right off the bat---they will respect it and not create problems. But if you make them earn your trust day in and day out, you have destroyed a part of the relationship and they don't feel secure and respected. Their is no trust and hence---no relationship.

Responsibility is another BIG difference between American and Japanese schools. Every day after the last period lets out, the students disperse throughout the school to do the daily chores. Each week, they are assigned a chore (the schools have no custodial staff..so there are MANY chores!). The students clean everything-bathrooms, classrooms AND the outside of the building/school grounds. There is a picture below of some students doing their part to make school safe and enjoyable for everyone! Thanks students! These kids are so helpful! They are also more than willing to do their part to keep their school shipshape! I always knew that students learned most when they had a sense of ownership over their learning, but until Japan--I rarely saw it. Just another one of the many reasons I am so excited to be teaching here!

Being in Japan has opened my eyes to a whole different scene! I don't mean to compare "us" and "them", but I want you to have an idea of how different even the SCHOOL is....never mind the language, the food, the culture etc....the actual SCHOOL experience is SO AWESOME and NEW!

After some classes, the students chosen to prepare lunch for the week- grab their gear and begin lunch set up (in each of the classrooms!) Yep, space is always a concern, so these students just eat with their class in their classroom. The students are super cute in their hair nets, face masks and white aprons! The lunches are super tasty and nutritious. We usually get a salad, a roll, some meat/fish/combo deal (yikes!) and a 5% little carton of milk. We say the set phrases and begin to eat like crazy---as we only have 15 minutes. I think school lunch is pry one of my better investments--a super meal for only 200 yen! I will throw a pic of the luncheon-schpeel soon, but until then: picture a soup kitchen full of japanese students!

After the end of the day cleaning (as noted above), the students are mandated to head to after school activities. At Taneichi, they do Judo, sports, brass band and various traditional japanese arts/crafts/activities. In the end, the students put in about a 10-hour day! I am not even working close to that many hours...whew! Extra-curriculars are SO valued here, that after a large contest or tournament the entire school will take a day or TWO!!! off. What an incentive: "Win the baseball tourney tomorrow and you the whole school takes a 4 day vacation! Because sports are so valued in junior high, the teachers are reaLlLLLy lax with the amount of homework given out. English class is no exception, they pry have somewhere between 2-5 minutes a nite! And we wonder why they aren't getting it. I try to put in almost an hour a day of Japanese and it is not nearly enough! How the students have gotten as smart as they are with out hours and hours of homework a nite, I have no clue. Perhaps the responsibility they have been given has taught them "time management" skills!

At the end of the day, revived and energized (not exhausted and stressed like back in the States) I bid my farewells.....until next time students: Thanks for opening my eyes to a whole new perspective on teaching, communication and culture! Ja ne!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!