MN: a day in the life: SoFtbaLL: nihongo style

Saturday, September 24

SoFtbaLL: nihongo style

Sports: A universal language in and of itself. I would never guess that the same girls who never speak English in class or participate in activities that require some limited English proficiency, would be SO willing to communicate (via "Japanglish") during practice. I have been busy practicing with my students in many activities...and I swear I have learned more about who they are and what they are all about while sweating it out shagging balls, shooting hoops and volleying on the courts, than I ever would from inside the classroom. If I am lucky, I can actually slip some new vocabulary or reinforce the skills we learned in class during practice--and they don't even know they are learning! Tricked ya again! Keep up the great job!
Hajeme masho! The game begins with both teams lining up in racing formation...and they race to homeplate where they greet and bow to their opponents, the umpires and the fans.

I have never seen such respetful athletes....competitive, dedicated, focused, intense and tough, yet respectful. Speaking from my own experience - I have a difficult time putting on my semi-superficial-happy-face to the other team's players and coaches. Must be one of those cultural adaptations they have learned through the years.


The girls have a beautiful park to play @ in Taneichi. This was a game between neighboring towns of Kuji and my girls from Shukunohe. It was a huge sports tournament for all junior high students in Taneichi. No major differences in ballpark facilities, except super disgusting squatty pottys--uhm definitely THE most repulsive ones yet! As you can see, the dirt outfield is a switch for me, but none of the local schools have grassy outfields here. Too difficult to maintain (no custodians remember!) and too expensive (Taneichi isn't exactly Beverly Hills). But it suffices and the girls seem more preoccupied with the actual game than the park or its (lack of) amenities.


Time to huddle up. Not much to go over with these girls--they ended up crushing Kuji. 2 in the park homeruns, solid defense, and outstanding performance on the mound and relentless offense. I was really proud of my school! Way to go team! Yoku de kimashta!


Another one away, the team holds their heads (and hands high). They really are #1! Lots and lots of chatter on the field and in the stands. The Shukunohe boys' baseball team also made an appearance, sitting first row in the stadium, showing their support for their friends and school. There are many organized school cheers--all of which I haven't a clue what was said, but it sounded cool and it really got everyone (except me) fired up! School spirit is an understatement @ Shukunohe. I swear athletics might take precedence over academics. What a great school to coach at....(Kocho sensei = hint, hint) ;)


"We are the champions..."

Omedeto! I am proud of you! You put on a great performance and were tons of fun to watch! You made me reallllllllly miss coaching back in the States! This is the first time in almost 5 years, that I have been so far "removed" from my favorite sport. Huge adjustment to make, but I am trying to get as involved with the team as much as I can. They are so talented and hard-working, I think I could do wonders w/ 'em...if only I had the time! Totemo izogashii!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!