MN: a day in the life: new hobby: taiko

Wednesday, September 14

new hobby: taiko

So this is it: My first day of taiko! Nakasato-san, who I work with in the town office, volunteered to teach me. He is also the Taneichi-Taiko-Team coach. He and his 2 sons, have been involved with taiko for many years and are wonderful coaches and teachers! Nakasato-san is pictured below in the white tee.
Pratice was a bit more challenging than I thought. I had sat in on several of their practices before...it is an exhausting Japanese activity. It is an amazing workout--maintaining toned arms is definitely not going to be a problem! The members of the team range in age from 8-50+! The group has around 20 members, but rarely does everyone show up for each practice (which lasts 2 hours!) After 2 hours of taiko, I have sweat the equivalent of an hour long training session with Rustin! Of course, there is more to it than just blood, sweat and tears...its about soul and family and the heartbeat. Taiko combines theatrical and musical elements into one intense performance. I am so excited to learn more!

This is Sacamotoh-san's wife and one of their 2 children in the club. Sacamotoh is another person I work with at the town office. I love watching her play as she is confident and aggressive in her style of play. I hope to learn more from her and other members of the team! It is going to be a challenge, but I am willing to devote 20 minutes each day to practicing my form at home. Technique is everything--where to look, how to stand, when to change grips, where to strike, how to strike and when to change stances. Ganbarimas!!!

The bigger the drum, the bigger the sound. This taiko student is working on the most difficult instrument. I liked the shot as it shows both the muscular definition and sweatbath that ensues from participating in this beautiful art!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!