MN: a day in the life: Another homestay! HOORAY!

Saturday, September 17

Another homestay! HOORAY!


The Shizukuishi posting was a bit long, so I am putting the homestay experience on its own page. I met the homestay family at the Shizu-event mentioned previously and stayed at their home that evening. Sarah ---an ALT with a different program, also stayed with the Minamino family.
Here are some pics of the family (although I didn't get a chance to get a GROUP shot!) I know, I know...I'm kicking myself about that now... First, pictured above is me getting the royal treatment--yep, he actually let me use their massage equipment! As if my day was stressful and exhausting! Nonetheless, this was a great way to relax even more...



This is Hideo Minamino-san. Sarah and I were graciously presented with these fancy yukatas to wear for the party that evening! We immediately knew it was going to be a super experience with his family....despite his limited English skills! Huge bummer that his son-Yuki and wife Sachiko--were not present in the photo!

Minamino-san and his wife and son live in the middle of the Ou Mountain Range. It was so remote, and quiet and beautiful! Finally, an opportunity to relax and reflect on all of these amazing experiences! Above, the view from their front door. Below, their lovely home...which appears as though they have "added on" several times through out the years. Below that photo is a pic of their "guest room" --which came with already turned down futons...how thoughtful! I also snapped a shot of the family altar...this is the place where Hideo and his family pray each day. Again, I am sure its a bit on the sacreligious-side, but it was so beautiful and intriguing...no excuse I know.

We had a wonderful chat later that nite at his home. Sarah took a year of Japanese in college and is MUCH better than I, but together the 2 of us were able to find a way to communicate with his family. I honestly feel like my Japanese has improved significantly over the weekend...when you HAVE to use it or else...the pressure is on to learn it AND REMEMBER IT! As the nite grew late, it became more and more difficult to remember phrases/grammar rules etc...so we called it a nite around midnite or so. ONE MAJOR MISCOMMUNICATION was when Sachiko asked us what Japanese foods we liked. So we rattled off 7 or 8 of our faves (little did we know she was putting together a shopping list for BREAKFAST the next day!) Argh....wow, we ate like queens. See the pic below: yakitori, yakisoba, our fave veggies and fruits, some "westernized" breakfast foods and 5 different salads and rice balls. Would have been better had she been able to eat with us...but the 2nd miscommunication was that we didn't know she had to work the next morning at 8 AM! Yep, so she went to bed around 12:30 and woke up around 4:00 AM to fix a Thanksgiving-esque breakfast for us (that she wouldn't be able to eat!) Wow, Sachiko you are so selfless and hospitable! THANK YOU! Ironically, Yuki Minamino isn't in the picture--these are just the neighbor kids! (Who spoke pretty good English for elementary school aged kids!) Also pictured below is another shot of Sarah and I trying to figure out how to work these Japanese Massage contraptions. Not sure how therapeutic they are, but it provided a few laughs! I love Sarah's moonboots, they are so restricting that we could actually feel our blood pressure skyrocketing!

The 3rd miscommuniation happened right at the end of the weekend, he offered to give me a lift to the train station. GREAT! Can't beat that...but instead of just dumping me off at the local station, he brought me to Morioka so I could catch the Shinkansen back up to Taneichi. What a nice guy--I wish I could have clarified the plans with him a bit better beforehand, but before I knew it we were on our way! He politely dropped me off at the station, and walked me into the ticket office to help get me on my way! He waved and waved and waved until my escalator was no longer visible. It was actually quite emotinal--what a gentle spirt! No wait a minute, maybe that spirit is just a genetic trait amongst Japanese people. Whichever it is, I am so happy to be in Japan! Thank you so much Minamino-san and family. Osawa ni nademashta!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!