MN: a day in the life: an xmas celebration

Sunday, December 11

an xmas celebration

MeRRy CHriSTmaS & SeASon'S GrEEtinGs!


In and effort to give back to some of the wonderful new people in my life, I decided to give them Christmas! Mayumi, Junko, Taira and Manami are complete dolls and very special friends! Whether its an ear, a car ride, a shoulder, a bottle to share, cultural tips and teaching tricks....these ladies have helped me see through the good and not-so-good parts of living in northern Japan.
After cooking/cleaning/wrapping for several hours before my guests arrived, I felt a renewed sense of being American. Knowing that I could share a big part of my culture with this Christmas-rookies, made me quite giddy. Such that, I didn't notice how cold my house was---until my guests arrived and insisted that I start using my kerosene stove. Some of you are thinking---you've held out THIS long without kerosene heat..........yes, and I've never felt healthier! The arctic air is probably a deterrent to any foreign germs in my home...nothing could survive these temps! Needless to say, before the festivities got underway, Mayumi ran out to get some kerosene and gave me a mini lesson on how to operate the thing. The room heated up within minutes and I actually found the heat stifling. I had yet to experience such intense heat---so reminsicent of August in Japan. The party finally got under way as my guests got under my kotatsu!
This was the feast...a curry/tofu stir fry with about one of everything from our vegetable section of the grocery store. My notorious pumpkin dish w/ mustard and mayonaise. And lastly, a new creation of apples/yams/onions and cinnamon. Overall, must have been a success as I had very little leftovers and everyone helped themselves to seconds....and thirds! Hey, they might now celebrate Christmas, but they sure know how to splurge, calorically, around the holidays! Thai/Japanese/Chinese cuisine, Bing Crosby and Sinatra xmas tunes, and a super conversation of Japanglish = priceless.
After dinner, the cookie decorating contest got underway. I gave them a pep-talk and stressed the importance of precision decorating (not just frosting) cookies. They more than excelled at the feat and proved quite the competition for me and my 20+ years of decorating expertise. ;) This was their first time decorating cookies and memorable for all of us!
Here are our finished products! So beautiful and delicious! Did you know that Japanese snowmen have only 2 sections, not 3. We never got around to judging the contest, but everyone's a winner in my book. Manami made a Santa face and an igloo, Mayumi- a snowperson, Junko - a face... (!? ;) and Taira a reindeer. I went with the patriotic theme.
The evening closed with gift exchanging. They really enjoyed their culture-grabbag gifts from me. And I was surprised by their hostess gifts, which they really did NOT need to do! Thank you Taira for the Japanese xmas tree, albeit reminisicent of the Peanuts cartoon...yknow the "Linus tree". Thought that counts... And Manami brought a gorgeous plant from her flower shop--beautiful red and white flowers. Junko brought some holiday 'splash' that we will have to break into when I get back from the trip! And Mayumi, bless her soul, treated me to my first supply of kerosene on the year....a spendy gift! Thank you all for making my Christmas, away from Minnesota, so special! So happy to have you here in Taneichi! Happy Holidays! And Best Wishes in 2006! ~anne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!