MN: a day in the life: xmas with the guys

Saturday, December 17

xmas with the guys

Thank you for the Japanesey Christmas party!
Tanoshi katta desu! Arigato Gozaimasu!
These are my most favorite guys in Taneichi (pic l-r: toshi, tadami, ma, mitsuo). Yeah, they might have a few years on me, (like they have kids my age) but they are wonderful fatherly friends who are a guarenteed great time! We started off the nite @ a local izakaya...great food and familiar faces. Felt like "Cheers"---everyone knows your name! Tonite was a super reunion for us 5, having not gotten together in over a month. We had some delicious snacks --including a game of "Russian Kroke"---a meatball looking food that has different veggies/meats inside of it, ONE of which is laced with some super potent spicy concoction unpalatable to humans. We "janken"-ed to see who would sample theirs first--and laughed uproariously when Mitsuo's face turned red and purple and the sweat poured profusely! Strange, but fun times in Japan! The highlight of this little pub was when the whole joint surprised me by singing "Happy Birthday" to me---in English! Many of these people struggle to form a broken English sentence, but their singing was outstanding! Go figure!? Yoku de kimashita! Domo!
After the pub, we walked, like drunked college kids, down to another karaoke bar. Here we met up with the deputy mayor of Taneichi. Thought I would surely have to be on my best behavior with this guy around...but at Japanese drinking parties anything goes! We sang and sang---the guys were sweet peas and sang some English favorites--Beatles, Elvis and Neil Diamond etc. (I don't think I've ever heard some of these "English favorites" of theirs, but was able to fake it!) And in true holiday spirit, Ma and I treated the bar to Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" and Tadami-san and I gave Lennon's "War is Over" a shot. Part of my contract says "Internationalization" is one of my job responsibilities, and I can remember (barely, as the beer was hitting the spot!) having one of those realizations that, "Wow, I'm in Japan and we're singing Beatles and Christmas songs!"
A small step toward bridging the cultural divide, but so rewarding!
After stumbling home in a drowsy stupor, I cranked on the kerosene and was out for the nite. Well, until I was awakened by another earthquake--no damages to report. After my pulse and breathing rate returned to normal, I once again resumed my slumber. Until...my lovely neighbor decided to test out her snow shovel at 7:00 AM. Sleeping in Japan is useless- I swear! Hopefully, I can call it an early nite and start refreshed tomorrow---packing day & last minute finalizations of trip logistics!

Merry Christmas guys! See you next year! ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Really good to see someone else in Iwate!

http://iwate.blogspot.com

email me. I have all sorts of websites in Iwate!

12/17/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!