MN: a day in the life: intERnatIONaliZaTIon

Saturday, January 28

intERnatIONaliZaTIon

What do D-2 Mighty Ducks, 50 Cent, spaghetti and ice cream sundaes have in common? They are the necessities upon building cultural understanding and a means for providing true internationlization....duh! :)
2 of my genkiest ni-nensei students @ Taneichi-Chu, Yusho (camera-shy eh?) and Daichi, graciously accepted the offer to come to my home for a dose of the States. Being that the job provides little opportunity to actually spark the kids' interest in American culture (and English in general for that matter), I was excited that they were even mildly interested. I was surprised at how enamored they were with the teeny subtleties between our cultures. What's in Anne's fridge? Does she sleep on a futon to? Can she cook both Japanese and American foods? After a quick game of 20 questions, we were ready to eat! Tastes like cinnamon ice cream and garlic bread played tricks w/ their tastebuds, but overall--they gave me an enthusiastic "OISHII!" and "Great-o!" . Just goes to show you that food can both set cultures apart and bring them together.
Though I don't particularly enjoy 50 cent and Ludacris--and completely abhor Eminem, I sacrificed my own listening enjoyment and let them jam to some of their favorite tunes from America. Of course I didn't bother to ask them if they could understand it as I, a native speaker, can't understand Luda and '50'! I let them download some of their favorites and now have 10 new Avril Lavigne songs and 15 Eminem and Alicia Keyes' tunes. They were just starting to download Backstreet Boys when, just i the knick of time---the clock struck 11:00 and I insisted on finishing up with the downloading another day. Alas, I can say my musical collection is complete! Domo arigato!
The things I would do for my students..if there only were more opportunities to do so. They really are an interesting breed---but as I continue to learn more about Japanese culture, I'm beginning to appreciate their uniquities (sp?). Though they are miles apart from the American students that I am so fond of back home, the spazzy, hormonal, insecure junior high school students seem to be quite similar worldwide. Thanks for visiting! I learn as much from you as I HOPE you learn from me! Matta ne!
The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!