MN: a day in the life: my trip (in a nutshell)

Monday, January 16

my trip (in a nutshell)

Hey everyone! I'm home! And very happy to be back in Japan! What an experience it was, filled with moments of chaos, sheer happiness, stress, sickness, scariness, and complete awe......... I've been more than thorough with my site thus far, but I think I might drop the ball this time around. There is just too much to say and not enough time to type it out. I'm sending a lot of links to my web gallery on kodakgallery.com and if you didn't get it and want to check out hundreds and hundreds of photos--email me!
RECAP: In just 25 days we spanned 5 countries and over 20 major cities. We took boats, horses, bikes, rickshaws, ferries, planes, bamboo rafts, buses, trains and elephants. We experienced the frigid temps of Beijing and the tropical temps of Samui, Thailand. We ate things that were fried, raw and dried. We slept on futons, train cots, fluffy mattresses (a treat for me) and a couple of airport sofas. Admittingly, it was a blur but so worth it and I only wish to share more of the experience with you in person!
Here's a brief best and worst list of each place:
Beijing, China: hmmm reallly ghetto! i can't believe that as the capital of the huge super power known as China---look dilapitated and developing. Omnipresent pollution, the worst in the world, increases the sense of oppression and misery that pervades. Not a lot of positives to say, but the trip to the Great Wall was a major highlight (and we had beautiful blue skies to boot!) One of the more memorable Christmas Days I have ever had.
Xi'an, China: filthy, scary and destitute. no comment. but the Terra Cotta Warriors rocked. so did the traditional dumpling dinner--bunny for supper! mmm mmm mmm
Shanghai, China: felt like Vegas compared to the other places. actually, a paradoxical city of new and old contrasting one another on every street corner. its the economical center of china, so there is less apparent poverty and an overall, happier population as a result. Spent my bday here and enjoyed the sights of Shanghai from high above--nite views from the TV Tower. Fabulous.
Hong Kong, SAR-China: LOVED IT! Beautiful mix of tropical undeveloped islands and the most commercialized city streets imaginable. Felt safe, but lost in the magnitude of the city...population density 6300 per kilometer (no, that's not a typo!).
THAILAND: I'm going to keep it short and sweet and neglect a million and one stories and details. Thailand was my favorite. Loved the friendly culture, beautiful countryside, delicious curry-everything food and the company with which we traveled. The cultural tour up to the Golden Triangle was so informative and the elephant ride my favorite part of the entire trip.
Those of you gluttons, that can't get enough, check out my Top 10 places we visited in tomorrow's post! And again, if you want to see pics, email me and I will send you the link! Happy New Year everyone!
The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!