MN: a day in the life: new year in a new town

Tuesday, December 20

new year in a new town

As 2005 closes, so does the era of Taneichi-machi. As of January 1, 2006, we are combining with the neighboring village of Ono and becoming: Hirono-machi. Which means upon returning from my SE Asia trip, I will have a new address!
I'm growing more and more anxious of the big trip...in less than 48 hours I will be on my way! Rustin and I have finalized all plans, well actually he is in the air right now! Planning vacations is exhausting--currencies, immunizations, paperwork for RX-meds, flight arrangments, hotel reservations...you name it, it's finished!
When I return to Taneichi, January 16th, it will be a new year in a new town and it wouldn't be complete, if not for some new year's resolutions. So here are some of my goals/resolutions for 2006.
1. more traveling...the clock is ticking and there is so much to see and do. looking fwd to meeting my family in hawaii in march, and im working on a trip to cambodia/vietnam during golden week/may. southern japan in august...we'll see where that takes me, geographically and financially!
2. starting an eikaiwa in taneichi...i really hope this works out as it would surely benefit our community and be a fun way for me to have some freedom in the classroom. (eikaiwa=adult english conversation class)
3. passing my class...yep, i have to take a pre-req linguistics course for my grad school program and its supposedly ridiculously hard to pass WITH English support around you. rural japan doesn't offer much in the way of english tutoring services, so wish me luck!
4. really making an effort to actually STUDY japanese each day. i enjoy practicing it each day with everyone i encounter, (why? see resolution #3), but actually studying the grammar and vocab is a bit less interesting to me. but im tired of sounding like a 3 year old when i speak japanese and as an educator myself find it rather embarassing that my japanese grammar is so poor. ganbarimasu!
5. lastly, is to be a bit more selfish with my time. after graduating, i rushed into a full time work and then japan preparations and now im here and racing around trying to maximize every opportunity, but its exhausting! and i really don't want to burn out half way through the year......so i think finding a way to nicely decline some invitations would provide some sanity and time for reflection on how awesome it is to live in this country.
Well, I suppose its time to retire, like the Taneichi flag pictured below. Until 2006...blessings and best wishes for a fantastic year ahead for us all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!