MN: a day in the life: E-K-I-D-E-N

Thursday, April 13

E-K-I-D-E-N

Run Shukunohe Run.
While visiting friends in Shizukuishi, we made a pitstop at the event (which I describe below). Here are a couple shots of one of the 15 Shu-chu runners and the entire school who made an appearance in the cheering section (which comprised maybe 1/2 the schools in Iwate lining one side of several city blocks. Each school sported their school colors, flags and brassband...quite the pepfest. I couldn't recognize their cheers and the cheerleading routines were a bit unoriginal, as every school seemed to be imitating one another's moves, i couldn't understand who was on what team, who was in the lead and who lost...BUT the spirit was contagious and I really enjoyed it!

I have posted several of these "student assembly" pics but the predictability factor always intrigues so here are a few more from "Ekiden" practice (cheer practice for the entire school) held everyday of the week for one hour!! (before race day which was pictured above.) The Ekiden is a track meet for all junior high school students in Iwate Prefecture (minus the field events). Which is PERFECT for me and my too-short attention span. It's a long distance relay race and the competition is fierce amongst all schools vying for prefectural bragging rights.
These assemblies and my pics speak for themselves...rich in tradition, structure and routine. The choreagraphy and impeccable timing never ceases to amaze. The stillness of the students, between cheers, is spooky. But I always sing/babble gibberish right along with them...at my relaxed, absolute-no-rhythm pace of course, which is usually well received by the students---although they dare not mimic my Western ways. Japanese have such respect for their country and this sense of nationalism permeates their everyday lives. It's interesting the ways we define "American". What exactly does it mean to be one anyway? We are a diverse country with diverse ideas and beliefs, so how do you categorize and depict what separates "US" from "everyone else"? And who is "everyone else" for that matter?
My students always ask, "Do you like food?" [which translates to, "What American foods do you like?]
I respond by rattling off my favorites: Thai, Italian, Chinese, Mexican and dead last but not least, Japanese.
They repeat it once more,
this time remembering the order of subject/verb,
"What AMERICAN foods do you like?" And I'm stumped!
i don't know what that is!
I have a newfound admiration for our diverse country and it's ability to accept new ideas....and for the most part, get along.
Japan is a homogenous country with one way of thinking, which involves constantly "thinking about how and what everyone ELSE is thinking." The speech and culture rules are mindboggling to the untrained eye (aka: mine). But according to books, this maintenance of "Wa", of harmony and group focus, is commendable.
I'm not saying one way is better than the other - everything in moderation. Somewhere in the middle of these two extremes, lies the potential for a really amazing country! If you know of such a place, leave a comment and I will start planning my next roadtrip...
皆さん。がんばれ!いかんじいかんじ!
わたしわ楽しみにしています!
にちよびまったね!
Good luck everyone! Keep it up! I'm excited! See you Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!