MN: a day in the life: warmth

Wednesday, April 12

warmth

It's 8:20 PM and 65' outside. Spring has sprung in the village. The students/teachers and community have shed their winter layers, and some of the protective wear that acted as a barrier to me, western culture and English. There is a remarkable difference in everyone's attitude in the last few days. Especially in my junior high schools, where the ichi-nenseis (who I met when they were elementary students) are fearLESS of English and unafraid of making mistakes as they learn.
[*Which just goes to show the importance of early ESL/EFL instruction*]
I snapped this pic last weekend while biking around town. I found a guy with his 'catch of the day' (aka: nonpalatable seaweed) air-drying and baking in the sun. Next time, i will try to get pics of people wading out into the ocean, pitchfork in hand, to collect dinner. Sometimes, the 'fast pace foreigner lifestyle' makes me forget to take in these scenes in which I would never view back home.
Today, I breathed in the salty sea-breeze air, as it wafted through the hallways and classrooms at school. I first sighed 'sayonara' to the kerosene heaters, then said a prayer of thanks that I didn't light my house on fire or get carbon monoxide poisoning...and then I smiled, my heart (and all appendages and extremities),
for the first time in 5 months, felt warm again.

4 Comments:

Blogger knob said...

Anne, that picture is really cool. I'm glad you're enjoying Spring. Isn't it amazing how suddenly it comes? I celebrated by moving back downstairs yesterday, thus ending the winter cocoon.

4/12/2006  
Blogger aNne said...

thanks ciara! strange how the hypothermic conditions really induce negative thoughts about japan! not seeing my breath in my house will make these last weeks quite enjoyable.

4/13/2006  
Blogger Erin said...

I agree with Ciara, the picture is FABULOUS. And, I wish to issue a word of warning to both of you about assuming that winter is actually over. Japan has a way of doing that to you...giving you something wonderful and then taking it away. Man, I am a bloody pessimist! I didn't know this about myself. Then again, neither one of you lives in the Mura where we are still facing antartic temperatures and snow falling even as we speak.

4/13/2006  
Blogger knob said...

14 weeks and 4 days!!!!

Not that i'm counting down or anything!

4/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!