MN: a day in the life: Taneichi Sports Festival

Sunday, October 2

Taneichi Sports Festival

The annual Taneichi Sports Festival is held the first of every October. It is a contest between "neighborhoods" within Taneichi. Each neighborhood has its own banners, colors, insignias, apparell --you name it. My neighborhood is called "Omachi"--news to me!?!--and our team was mostly comprised of the "slightly older than 40 crowd" ;) ----no worries though as age is not a factor for these "sporting events". These backyard games are meant to be good natured and fun...but the Japanese can't contain their competitive spirit. Everything was super organized and efficient, and it began and ended with very traditional ceremonies. (Kinda neat standing in our "neighborhood" lines, while the flags were being raised and the Japanese National Anthem was blaring overhead...) I was surprised to find ou that all winners receieved a prize--TP, Kleenex, paper towels, soap...etc. Apparently did well at the races, as I came home with enough TP to last me until December!
...check out some of the events I participated in below...
2005: Team Omachi = Women Power

Here is the team Omachi captain: Mitsuo-san. Great guy, he runs the photo shop in town. I am infatuated w/ photos so he sees a lot of me anyway, but he graciously got me registered for many events and then invited me along to a couple of post-fest-parties! Next to him is Toshi, crazy but wonderful man. His English is AWESOME and I am thankful that he lives just down the road from me! Will definitely be calling on him for some good conversation and a laugh or two!


First example of why this isn't an Olympic sanctioned festval: the bread eating contest. You run 50 yards, try to bite off a small piece of bread dangling from the line and then run another 50 yards while clinching the bread in your teeth! Hilarious to watch people helplessly biting at the bread as the line bounces up and down from all of the other helpless participants trying to snatch their bag and run. Who thinks of these things anyway!?


This is one of the 3 "real" running races I participated in. I did the 1500 M--which was a last minute decision on my part...figured I might as well try it out, when will I ever have 3000 people cheering me on again!? I finished the 1500 M in 6th place (of maybe 30 people). They don't keep track of "times" for these events...its all about crossing the line before the next person.

Next, I decided to try the 200 M dash...well, this is nothing compared to the mile-long sprint I had just finished, so I felt pretty strong and ended up taking 1st place! Honestly, I felt a bit guilty winning...like--shouldn't this "opportunity" be had by a Japanese member of the community!? But then I realized that Taneichi has made me a member of their community, and I totally feel a part of it...looks aside--my personality/attitude/mentality totally blends in here, so why should I feel ashamed?! So that is what I was thinking in the 10-seconds or so of running, winning and claiming my trophy...hope the community understands my competitive spirit!

Last but not least, I also got in on the 800 M relay race. A bit more tiring as it was the LAST of my 7 EVENTS on the day, but our team took 2nd place so it was worth it! However, they made us race on GRASS! So many people bit it while flying around the corners...I took extra care on the corners, but made up for it on the straight aways. Still learning "track" strategy..maybe next time I will get it!?

Yep, tug-o-war... you remember it from junior high school!? Yeah, you thought 'those were the good ol' days, I'll NEVER get the chance to do that again...' But nope, not in Japan---But come to Japan and everyone has the opportunity to relive their junior high school experiences at the festival. Although I doubt people "train" for these events, it is interesting to note the determination and focus that EVERYONE uses while in ultra-competitive-mode! I've never seen anything like it...what motivates them!? Why is their attention span triple that of people in the States? I am continuously amazed at the work ethic of all people in this country!


Another interesting Japansesey game...we run with our hands on this pole...but the path we take is a bit more challenging as we maneuver and weave around several large cones, which we pivot around and then head to the others. This was super fun, when I was on the inside (as pictured above) as I had to try to hoist our team around...and when I was on the outside, I was nearly airborne trying to hold on for dear life. Great little game!


A bunch of new friends--the NEIGHBORS! Finally, I had a "formal" meeting with them all! It was wonderful..I mean I LOVE the location of my home and I have many Japanese friends and such, BUT knowing neighbors are there for you adds extra comfort! Thanks for the wonderful enkai! Matta ne!

The 2nd enkai, loooooong after the races were finished, a few of us went back to Mitsuo's home. Mitsuo and Toshi were hilarious! By the end of the long day together, we all improved in our Japanglish skills! Mitsuo's wife, Kay-san, cooked this super fresh soup, which helped induce sobriety once again. I still crave Doritos? Fritos? Peanuts? with my beer, but soup!? No wonder everyone is so teeny! What a day! What pals! What fun!


Mitsuo, Toshi and Taizo (in back). Great friendships wherever I go. I couldn't be luckier...this town is so amazing! Thank you to everyone for putting on such a super show and sports contest! Tanoshi katta des!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!