MN: a day in the life: The Washizu's: Take 2

Sunday, April 16

The Washizu's: Take 2

In February, I did a homestay with the Washizu's from Shizukuishi. The wkd must have been a success as they invited me back 2 months later.
Chikako, the mother, has become one of my most special friends in Japan. She is curious and interested in learning about my culture. She has been a wonderful teacher, hostess and stand-in mother to me.
However did I get so lucky in finding the amazing people I did over here?!
We spent this weekend doing all sorts of random Japanesey things, all the while snapping some beautiful shots of her family. Here are some of my favorites:

Kako...a bit sassy and so unJapanesey!


Here, we are making senbei, my favorite Japanese sweet. You roll the rice dough into a pancake and grill it in this ironware over open flames. I think of senbei as a 'healthy treat', but to Japanese it's a cookie. Peanut senbei, my favorite of the hundreds of variety, is definitely not your run of the mill Chips Ahoy, but I have a new scale of what it means to be delicious over here...and these top the list.


Eko-chan, you are SO adorable!

...do you fit in my suitcase?

Dango...another not-so-sweet treat. These are akin to 'mochi' but less gluey. These weren't too bad, if you can get past the brite colored gunk that they are drenched in. I never did find out what that was exactly. Don't ask, don't tell.


I insisted on doing nothing, laying low and getting a dose of fam-time. I had brought paper dolls for the girls to play with, and ended up having to find creative ways to rip them away from them to read english books, attend the Ekiden event, color anime pictures, practice ballet (Kako's current obsession), visit an old fashioned japanese handiworks center and hit up an art studio. It was busy, but making memories with your family is so special!

Tats & Chikako, I tip my hat to you folks, your mouth watering 'anything BUT Japanese' meals were fantastic! I can tell you both miss your college days spent in the States---kudos to you both for retaining your English skills! I so hope to see you again IN JAPAN...but if not,
I know we will have a reunion in Minnesota someday.
Thanks so much for your kindness, thoughtfulness and support!
I will never forget you and when I think of Japan,
families like YOURS will first come to mind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Oh my word, Anne! That's so sweet!

4/16/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your comment about human contact... when you are "out of the elements" of our American culture of invading each other's space and hugging and shaking hand it gets tuff in the foreign land. Glad to hear and see you do have a 'fill-in' family that can help with that dilemma! Love ya-Sheila

4/22/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!