MN: a day in the life: The Parry Family Christmas

Monday, December 24

The Parry Family Christmas

Like most families, our Christmas Eve has several traditions. We begin the nite snacking on many delicious treats prepared by my parents and slurp yummy Christmas beverages. Actually...this takes up most of the nite...we don't actually begin bringing all the presents under the tree to the basement until after 10.
Usually my brother and I bring all the gifts downstairs and sort them by recipients. I don't know who started this organizational neuroticism, but it does help save time and keep everyone on pace (fairly)...I remember when my brother and I were younger and the fits we'd throw if the other person had opened "more" gifts than the other... sigh...those were the days.
It goes without saying that much sarcasm is present during the gift unwrapping. Each person is given undivided attention while they slowly unveil their treasure...which is accompanied by moans and groans from the audience.
The cookie decorating contest has become a new tradition as well. Pictured above, are the winners of this year's contest.
During the afternoon mom finishes slaving away in the kitchen, preparing the MOST delicious cookie cut-out recipe I have ever tasted. Taste aside, our family has some of the most creative, most clever (and sometimes most unappetizing looking) Christmas cookies.
Dustin and Mike proved to be the big winners this year. Their patience was well-deserving of the (shared) honors. I, on the otherhand, produced many simple, more edible varieties :)
We don't have a lot of kiddies around for the holidays....and no, I am pretty sure that Mike and I are NOT interested in making that happen just yet!.... but my cousin Priscilla made a short appearance on Christmas day. I love these cute pictures of her in mid-rip, anticipating new toys and dolls.

It was great to have my brother home for the holidays. Though he goes to a university that is only 3 hours away...I rarely see him anymore :(
I think that will change this summer however - when he and I both move HOME for a couple of months inbetween jobs!!!
Perhaps the coolest gift this year was from my Grandma. She bought our family a Nintendo Wii!!! It is SUCH a blast! :) Below are a couple pics of Mike and Dustin battling it out in bowling.


Excessive gifts, drinks and food aside...the holidays are really about family. I am more and more thankful each year that I have such an incredibly supportive family. A family that I appreciate year around, but even more so during the Christmas season! Merry Christmas Mom and Dad! Thank you for making our Christmas so memorable! :)
I love you guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!