MN: a day in the life: Kindergarten Cuties

Monday, October 3

Kindergarten Cuties

I still have a hard time calling this "work"! Today, I got to visit the real little tykes at the local kindergarten school...yep, kinda like Montessori--but a Japanesey version. Only 47 students, ages 3-5, running wild and free in a school that could easily support 200. I know my junior high school kids have free reign and have been pleasantly surprised in how "responsible" they are. They don't need looking after---and now I know why. This responsibility is given to them at age THREE! These kids walk to school, change their own clothes, tie their shoes, serve the school lunch and help with all of the cleaning chores. UNBELIEVABLE!

The day begins with morning stretches..."gymnastics" as they call it. It really is nothing more than dance class w/ some contraindicated stretches built in. I swear, I have never felt more sore AFTER stretching than I do here in Japan. The kids love it though..as they begin the day w/ a song about being "Number 1"---kinda BeeGees-esque eh?



Today's lesson was on COLORS! We spent the day drawing, discussing, writing, singing and dancing. These kids are just learning the colors IN JAPANESE, so understanding it in a foreign lang. should have been difficult for them...but I was pleasantly surprised at the way they caught on! I am so impressed with their passion for learning and the self-motivation that is instilled in them at such a young age! Great job teachers and parents!


I never tire of the lunch patrol attire. Every day, all schools assign duties and serving lunch is one of them. It is so precious to see 4 year olds serving lunch to one another in their little hair nets and aprons. Wow, I just learned how to cook this year...these kids are going to have years and years of experience on me!


Thanks for a great day kids! Your desire to learn English is awesome and I appreciated the way you welcomed me into your school! I loved working with you! See you soon!


...hErE's lOOkin' @ YoU kiD...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hon, wow the kids look great and so do you. Young children are something else, I am finding that out quickly.

10/17/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!