MN: a day in the life: a 2nd dose of kindergarten

Monday, April 17

a 2nd dose of kindergarten

Today, was one of those days you never want to end. I spent the day amongst the little anklebiters, ages 3 thru 5, at the local kindergarten. As I was tugged, yanked and stretched in every possible direction, I pried the tykes off long enough to manage a few english games. But admittingly, it was a day of soccer, singing, tag, dancing, jump-roping, dodgeball and hide-and-seek.
It was also my first time back to the 'youchien' since last August!
Getting to see special faces like Rinna's (above) has the ability to induce an 8 hour permagrin.
Again, for all the complaints I have lodged on here...
today cancels out 1/2 of them.

I took another 30 pics on the day...but here are a few of my favorites. All 40 students at this school are loveable and precious and I wish I had the time to post more photos, but these will have to suffice. As you will see, they are いちばんかわいい! Infectious and unJapanesey, these little peanuts offered a warm reception (complete with hugs, squeezes and kisses!) THANK YOU!
I shouldn't have favorites...but he's IT.

Such a sweet pea, she was attached to my left leg all day long, but never smiled or said a word to anyone. I asked the Japanese teacher about this behavior, but she didn't seem too concerned about it. She says that it's Japanesey....sigh, they start 'em young don't they?
lunch time. so structured, every cup and towelette and bowl and tray and apron and sanitary coat has it's special place and certain rules for retrieving and returning them in the classroom. the kids are great, the teachers were also very kind, but what are they learining in pre-school? other than the hour of english, there was no academic instruction. it was organized chaos and free time for about 4 hours (with short breaks inbetween to sing songs about 'the importance of saying the required phrases and polite but not sincere greetings'. to me, it looked like obedience training...say it this way and do it that way. is this what American kindergartens are like (ADAM or LISA please comment on this!!)? i always thought we encouraged some 'individuality' and 'problem solving' and opportunities for 'critical thinking' ---even at the kindergarten level---as those are ideals that are strongly valued in America.

In Japan, they value obedience, order, structure and continuity. They mold the kids like puddy, into independent and self-sufficient adults who consequently have a really difficult time expressing themselves, voicing an opinion or even thinking for themselves. Too many years of being told 'how-to' and 'where-to' and 'when-to'....my friends say that by college, students show up with the ability to memorize facts and test well on entrance exams, but struggle with everything else. As much as I love to visit such schools like this pre-school, the 'style of training' kills me. I only hope that it isn't damaging the students as well...

Shyou! Didn't get to spend nearly enough time with the 4 year old crew, but fortunately I see Shyou often (because her mother Saori is one of my favorite people). Oh, and BIG thanks to YOU, Saori, for making a delicious American style bag lunch for me today....bentos are so overrated! THANK YOU!

I completely understand Angelina Jolie and her obsession with foreign children. I need to check into the baggage requirements for international flights...I know 3 kids would be a stretch, but if I could just squeeze one or two....

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I'm also thinking about packing a few of the Mura kids home with me. There is this little two year old who's grandma owns the local convenience store that I want to put in my pocket everytime I go there. It's not technichally kidnapping if I only want to borrow them for a few years, is it??

4/17/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!