MN: a day in the life: what didn't i do today?!

Sunday, April 23

what didn't i do today?!

The Isozaki's invited me to spend the day picnicing in Hachinohe. We started our journey at 10:30 AM and once again, I hopped in their car with no clue about the day's agenda. I've adapted to never knowing what's in store so I just rolled with it. Little did I know I could not have predicted the random things I would do at the kiddie themepark we went to. Such a random day, I must add a few pics to help jog my memory:
Checked out some interesting artwork/architecture.
These are Japanese toy dolls, built for King Kong.

This is my friend Taizo, and those fish, which I can't remember the pronunciation off hand, are so beautiful. They are symbols for "Children's Day" celebrated in May.
The day wouldn't be complete of course if not for monkey viewing! This one wasn't too photogenic but I wanted to get a shot of their red faces...spooky! I've never seen such gooney creatures...
Boarding the ferris wheel. Pretty impressive height for a park in the middle of nowhere. It's got nothin' on Yokohama's ferris wheel, but provided some nice views of the mountains still covered in snow.
Next up, go-karts. I liked how they didn't use "protective gear" (harnesses, belts and whistles). Knowing that I could fall out whipping around the corners added to the intensity of the experience.
Dinner #5 w/ the Isozaki family.
Inbetween the monkeys and wheels and karts and hotdogs,..I came back to my house to rest and regroup for the dinner party later that evening. I walked in my door at 1:15 and by 1:35 Yusho and Akane (a couple of my fave students) were knocking on my door wanting to hang out. I can't say no to anyone in Japan, so no sooner did they come in, it was off to the grocery store for ingredients to make peanut butter cookies. An interesting semi-edible creation later, a short pre-dinner meal for the kids and by 4:55 they took off. Just in time for me to take off for Isozaki's dinner party at 5:00. And I'm writing this, several beers later, at 10:30, having returned from the Isozaki's home...exhausted but feeling purposeful. If I can't "really" teach over here, I might as well dive into the culture and community which provids more satisfaction anyway.

This is so typical of every day over here...every minute is maxed out (by the community that has really stepped it up 38 notches on the social skills scale). It's overwhelming, exhausting and smothering but rewarding, interesting and memorable. A nice trade-off. Today, however, was just ultra-random...my head is still spinning trying to remember all that I did in the last 3 days! what a weekend--and I stayed pretty near to Taneichi!? Good times can be had in this village! New discoveries every day it seems... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The original MySpace Map! Click here make your own!